Finding Balance in the Summer – Allie Barone
- Thursday, July 12, 2018
- Posted by Krisanne Butler in Uncategorized
The summer is filled with heat and intensity! Living in New England, most of us look forward to this season, which seems much too short. For us, we do not want to waste a moment or single benefit of what summer has to offer. The best way to truly enjoy this season for all it is is to be sure that you create balance in your mind, and body so to not get overheated from the power of summer. This is a transformative, and creative time of the year, and here are some suggestions to be sure you do not get burnt out but instead are able to utilize all that the season has to offer!
While one of the most important concepts of nutrition and health, we no longer live in a society that promotes eating seasonally and locally. Our grocery stores are flooded with out-of-season produce available to us any time of the year. While it is wonderful to live in a world full of so many options, this style of eating does create disharmony in the body.
Ways to embrace seasonal eating in the summer:
- Learn to love the local foods that are available to you in the summer. Become part of a summer CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) to get the season’s freshest produce!
- Eat plenty of cooling foods like greens, cucumber, melon, avocados, and cooling spices like cilantro, basil, mint, or parsley. Some cooling snacks could include tabouli salad, or veggies dipped in guacamole.
- Make your own spa waterby adding cucumbers, mint, and lemons to a large jug of water and letting steep. You can keep this in the fridge for some extra chill.
- Limit spicy, hot, or caffeinated food and beverages. These foods fire up the system and add extra heat. If you choose to enjoy these foods, balance them with cooling foods as part of the meal!
- This is a great time of year to enjoy fresh, raw foods such as smoothies, and salads. Enjoy pick-your-own fruit farms, and listen to your body if it feels like eating lighter meals.
- We lose a lot of electrolytes in the summer heat when we sweat, so be sure to add a pinch of unrefined sea salt to your water to replenish the body with minerals.
It can sometimes be hard to cool downin the summer, both physically and energetically. Summer is expansive and exciting, and we can tend to overexert ourselves if we do not seek restoration. Find ways that you can cool down your body and mind in the midst of the heat.
Ways to embrace restorative practices in the summer:
- Enjoy the sun, especially in the early morning, and late afternoon hours. A sunrise walk can be one of the most enjoyable ways to begin the day, always sending gratitude to the sun for rising another day!
- Find a natural body of water to wade or swim in. Lakes, rivers, and oceans all have enormous benefits to us in the summer months. If you don’t have access to a natural body of water, use a local pool, or even your backyard hose or sprinkler system!
- Remember to keep your skin hydrated. Coconut oil, or avocado oil are perfect options for a daily moisturizer. Coconut oil tends to be liquid in the warmer weather, so keep a jar in your bathroom to use on your body after the shower.
- Keep your wardrobe light, airy, and cool. This is the perfect season for breathable cotton, or linen clothing and light colors.
- Be ok with making less plans and having more days to just enjoy yourself where you are. It is easy to fill up the calendar with trips, and adventures, but it can make the summer go by too quickly and leave us feeling burnt out.
Enhance your Environment
It seems we wait all winter long for the summer months, and then complain when they are here that they bring unbearable heat and humidity. Adjust your living space to create the perfect environment to enjoy every drop of summer!
Ways to embrace your environment in the summer:
- Just like your wardrobe, it is a great time to change your bedding to light, airy materials. Choose organic cotton, or linen to create a comfortable sleeping environment.
- Depending on where you live, this season can be extremely humid. Some people may feel more comfortable with a dehumidifier this time of year to balance the muggy” air.
- Find a way to get fresh airflow throughout the house. Make sure you have screens on the windows and doors so you can keep them open, or use fans throughout the house.
- If you end up getting scorched by the sun’s rays, apply cooling aloe vera to the skin to remedy the burn. You can also add aloe vera to food, or drink to cool your system down from the inside as well. Growing aloe vera at your home is a great way to be sure you will always have some on hand!
- Limit the heat you use in your house. Take cooler showers, let hair air dry, and prepare fresh foods that can be eaten raw when possible.
If you can begin to incorporate some of these concepts into your repertoire, you can begin to rebalance all the other areas of your life. You will feel more energized, restored, and in harmony with your surroundings. Don’t forget to enjoy the season for what it is and know that it will come and go with time and we have the opportunity now to totally embrace it. Do some research on the subject according to different cultures such as Chinese Medicine and Indian Ayurveda. Some of their concepts and ideas may resonate strongly with you and give you a new perspective.
Let us know how you embrace and balance yourself in the summer season in the comments below!